We all have problems. A problem is the difference between the present situation and the desired one. From now on I will use the word challenge instead of the word problem. Because a problem is really a challenge waiting to be accomplished. It all depends on the point of view.
In order to accomplish any challenge the first thing you need to do is to decide what will be your attitude towards the challenge. There are really only three choices.
The first choice is deciding that you’re a victim. This attitude means that there is nothing you can do, someone or the universe has done something to you and you’re an unfortunate person. The only thing you can probably do is to share your situation with others so that they can pity you. In addition some people mistaken the pity for love. Often these people get sick so that they can say to others how unfortunate they are and receive pity. Also some people make a habit of sharing their misfortune because “misery loves company” and thus they create more of it.
The second choice is to ignore the challenge, Bury the head in sand like an ostrich and hope that the challenge will go away. The problem with that choice is that if you don’t have a challenge then you can’t achieve it. Moreover some challenges get worse as the time goes by. They become harder to accomplish.
The third choice is to decide that you are going to accomplish the challenge no matter what. This post is really about the third choice.
Usually our decision is automatic. We don’t stop to think what is our attitude, though we should.
What would you do if you needed to arrive at a certain place and and at a certain time for a job interview in a place you’re not familiar with? you would probably ask someone for directions or look it up in a map. In much the same way the first step to any challenge is gathering information. So often people worry and therefore they don’t know how to accomplish the challenge simply because they don’t have all the information needed.
The second step is to break the challenge into a few smaller challenges. Many challenges seem overwhelming but by breaking them down into smaller pieces and complete them we are able to accomplish the bigger challenge.
The next step is deciding on a plan. A plan is an outline of how you’re going to achieve the challenge. When you have a plan you know what to do in every situation. You don’t have conflicts. It’s best to write it down. There was a study done about making a plan. Students were asked whether they had a plan for after graduation. Only about 3 percent had a plan. Guess what, after a few years those 3 percent were worth financially more than the other 97 percent combined.
After you have a plan start executing it. Do whatever it takes as long as you don’t hurt others in the process.
Fail. Yes you heard it right I said fail. Of course if you are able it’s best not to fail but most of the time people fail. When you fail you learn something and unless you start fearing failure it actually helps you. What do you learn when you are successful? Absolutely nothing you’re simply using what you already know.
All the really successful people failed a lot in their lives. When Tomas Edison was asked how he dealt with thousands of failures in attempt of inventing the light bulb, he replied “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work”.
So after failing change your approach try something else. As Albert Einstein said the “the definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Often people think that if they failed they should try harder. But the truth is if it didn’t work the first time and nothing is changed there is no reason for it to work the second time.
In order to achieve anything of value you have to be determined. Determination means that you never stop wanting it and you keep going in spite of all the difficulties.
If you will follow these instructions there is no doubt in my mind that you will achieve success.
The truth is I haven’t been completely honest. There is a a shortcut. Find a mentor. Find someone that achieved what you’re trying to achieve and ask him how he did it. This will make your quest for solving the problem much faster.