This is a guest post by Ashley Jennings. Ashley writes about depression help and self help techniques for a variety of mental health conditions.
Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open? Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking. Live in silence.—
If you ever feel exhausted, worthless, helpless, or hopeless, there is a possibility you are suffering from depression. Several steps can be taken to treat this condition.
If you are interested in self-help, there are resources available that can help you get on the right track to feeling more confident and better about yourself.
Self-help consists of several methods that can be performed daily in the comfort of your own home, and these methods are designed to help reduce the effects of depression.
Depending on the severity of your condition, you should seek medical help, but depression help tactics are a great way to start the healing process.
The following tips describe a few methods for reducing stress and building confidence. These methods can also assist in the reduction of your depression symptoms:
• Setting goals are a great way to build confidence especially if you can meet them quickly.
• Split your tasks into smaller sections. This allows you to complete your projects in a timely manner.
• Spend time with those close to you and participate in activities that you enjoy such as going out for a meal, seeing a movie or going to visit some friends. These can both help you feel better.
• Change your physical state: stand straight, smile, hold your head high. Do it in front of the mirror and remember a time you felt great.
• Exercise. It’s scientifically proven that exercise makes you feel better.
This video gives some more ideas on how to reduce depression.
If you choose to see a therapist to treat your depression, you may be treated with Cognitive Behavior Therapy or CBT. CBT can be considered a form of self-help because of the approach used in treating your depression symptoms. Your therapist may guide this process before allowing you to continue the therapy on your own.
Cognitive Behavior Therapy may consist of keeping a log or diary of your thoughts or facing the problems that may be causing your depression. This method of therapy also helps you to face the problems that may be causing your negative feelings.
Determining the causes of your depression is an excellent first step towards determining the best course of action. In some cases depression suddenly appear in one’s life without an easily distinguishable cause. When this happens, it may be best to see a therapist while continuing your self-help tactics.