How To Motivate Yourself To Achieve Success

11 Comments 15 August 2009

motivationWe all need motivation. Without it nothing would be done. We need motivation to work, study and even to wake up in the morning. Motivation simply means the reason why we do things. In this post I want to share a few ways to motivate yourself.

Motivation at work

Until you’ll find your dream job every other job usually starts the same, at first you’re excited but then with time you enter into a routine and get bored. At this point you have three options: quitting, working and suffering or motivating yourself and even excelling at your job.

Assuming you need the money and you don’t want to quit you’re left with two options. both of them have advantages and disadvantages. Lets start with working and suffering: the advantage is that you get to complain and because people love to complain you will have a common interest with your coworkers and it will be easier for you to communicate.

On the other hand you’ll suffer, you’ll be bored and look at your watch a lot. You’ll probably wont be promoted because people don’t promote mediocre workers. In addition you’ll be tired and you’ll feel that you’re wasting your time.

If you choose to motivate yourself the main disadvantage will be that you’ll need to consciously make an effort at least at the beginning to see the positive sides of your job, and of course you’ll need to find different topics to talk about with your coworkers.

On the other hand you’ll be vigorous, you’ll become interested in your job and therefore better at it which will increase your chances of promotion. In addition time will pass faster and you’ll generally feel better.

If you decide to motivate yourself, here is how you can do that:

• start by remembering why you looked for a job in the first place.
  • Think about all the advantages that this job is giving you.
  • Divide your job into parts and give yourself small treats for every part you accomplished. The treats should be something you like to do like reading a book or watching TV (avoid food as a treat).
  • Imagine that someone is watching every step you make and you want them to have a good impression of you.

If you can’t find advantages to your job and you can’t motivate yourself, you should seriously consider finding a different job. The average person spends a lot of time at work and if you’re unhappy at your job it will affect other areas in your life including your health.

General Motivation

Do you want to know how I motivated myself to do skydiving? The answer is simple I told everyone I know that I’m going to do it. I didn’t want them to think that I’m a liar or just one of these people that talks a lot and does nothing so I had to do it. This “technique” still helps me achieve some of my goals, I use it all the time and it’s easy.

In this video Tony Robbins explains what motivates us and how we can do it better.

So by now some of you still think “I tried to motivate myself in the past and it didn’t work.” The reason for this is conflicting goals: In this video Tony Robbins explains more about it.

You can read more about it in my inner conflicts post.

Your Comments

11 Comments so far

1. Patrick says:

Thanks it’s just what I needed.

2. shimon says:

Hi Patrick, I’m glad you find it useful.

3. We all have motivational cycles when it comes to working or any other activity. There are times when we have peaks and valleys in our productivity and our desires to actually show up for work. For me, I really focus on goals. When I am short on motivation, I make my goals more immediate to reinforce my sense of accomplishment. This really goes in line with your comment about giving yourself a treat. Rather than a treat, I try to give myself a sense of accomplishment. For me, a sense of accomplishment builds and maintains my motivation longer.
    .-= Michael Cruse´s last blog ..Win a Free Copy of The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership =-.

• shimon says:

Hi Michael, I agree a sense of accomplishment can really help the motivation but so can your direct focus. You can choose to motivate yourself even on the days you don’t feel like working. Setting goals is important but without motivation it may not be enough.

4. alvin says:

You have a very very very informative write up keep it up!

5. Divya Vtas says:

Really v.motivating article……….. keep posting, it really helped me ……

6. Pablo says:

If you develop persistence as a character trait, not even procrastination or lack of motivation will get in your way; being persistent is the key to achieve anything, even against all odds. Sometimes your motivation might be running low; it is then when habits will take the place of motivation in your mind. If your habits are bad, like just sit to watch TV for hours in a depressed mood, then you will remain unsuccessful. On the other hand, if your habits are positive – like being persistence – they will help you on “auto pilot” until your motivation rises again. So, persistence is the other side of the coin of motivation.

7. Dominique says:

Thank you for this articles, and many others you have published. I just have found your blog and I bookmarked it to refer. Thank you for sharing tools to improve Life.
    Sincerely
    DO

8. Steve says:

Very good article. Success is more of a mind-set than anything. The first step in success is to believe that you can succeed and then to understand that failure will proceed success. Many people give up because they experience failure after failure. Most famous successful people failed many times before ever achieving the success they desired, so we must all remember to take action first and be persistent.

To Your Success,
    Steve
    .-= Steve´s last blog ..How To Earn Money Fast – Do You Know The Secret =-.

9. rus kizi says:

thanks

10. Obviously, This is very informative. I came across your website thro’ search engine. I would like to share this info with others. I extend my sincere thanks to you. Thanks.

Share your view